Monday, November 16, 2009

Being Thankful


As Thanksgiving approaches I know, as mothers, we want to cultivate an attitude of thankfulness and contentment in our families. So how do you do that? Where do you begin? I have come across several good resources and I would like to share them with you.




It makes sense to me to start at the beginning. So I like to talk with my children about the pilgrims voyage over to America and what we call "the first Thanksgiving." I have a great cd/book combo that they can listen to while we are in the car or coloring relevant pictures that I print for them. (google pilgrim/indian/mayflower coloring pages) This audio is historically accurate, biblical, and entertaining. The book follows the audio word for word so you can either follow along or read it separately. You can purchase both at FamilyLife.com. http://www.shopfamilylife.com/family-fun.html


I have also found other books that are just as accurate and helpful through Christianbook.com.
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=359640&sp=62874&event=1023BKSTR39460362874

Some of my favorites are Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving, by Eric Metaxas; Give Thanks to the Lord, by Karma Wilson; and Thanksgiving, A Harvest Celebration, by Julie Stiegemeyer.


I like other ideas I have seen that encourage you and your children to think about the things they are thankful for and put them in a blessing box or special notebook. You could start writing those things down every day and then read them all at Thanksgiving. Or you could write them down before your meal on Thanksgiving Day and go around the table, reading them out loud. Even the littlest ones can participate by drawing what they are thankful for.


Focusing on others is a great way to be thankful and share what God has blessed you with. We have friends that have gone to homeless shelters to serve food (this can be done anytime of the year) or simply invited someone over who may not have family to celebrate the day with.

I found this article on Focus on the Family's website.
In it are ideas that are age specific, from reading a story to coloring on a tablecloth, and collecting can food. All while teaching your children about being thankful.
I would love to know what other ideas you have or traditions you already participate in. Feel free to post them in the comment section below. Let's help cultivate the next generation of hearts that are thankful for the provisions, spiritually and physically, that the Lord has given to us.

No comments: