Tuesday, June 17, 2008

the role of a woman

I was listening to the Family Life radio program the other day. They were talking with author and speaker Nancy Leigh DeMoss. She has written many books including one titled, "Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free. "

The topic of discussion was the role of women in society by God's design. And as they began to talk Dennis Rainey, host of Family Life Today, quoted Elizabeth Elliot whom they had interviewed in a previous program. They referenced Romans 12:1-2 which says ..."we should not be conformed to the pattern of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of the mind." And quoted Elliot as saying, "You can almost count on it that if the world is teaching it, it's contradictory to what the bible says. It's not God's ways."

Wow! What a statement. That really resonated with me and has been circling around in my head ever since. I knew I wanted to share that statement with all of you. How much of the world's ways have I already bought into and not even seen that it has taken me away from God's word?

Again regarding a woman's role by God's design DeMoss reminds us that "things function poorly or not at all when they function contrary to their design. " So their example was that the microphone they were using works well for the purpose it was designed, but that if they were to use it as a book or bat that it would not function well or at all for that purpose.

Satan is constantly trying to deceive us (women) that God is putting limitations on us, limitations on our happiness. DeMoss asks "Would you be freer and happier and more blessed if you operated outside of God's parameters? That is an "essential deception" that many of us woman have listened to and believed.

I want to encourage you to seek God and seek his word and ask him if you have bought into any of these lies. If you are fulfilling the role that God has called you to as a woman. I know that I have and continue to re-examine and re-train myself in the areas where I have gotten off track.

At the end Rainey makes this comment to both men and women, but I have personalized it for us as women. "If [we] do not know who God made [us] to be then [we're] never going to have an impact in relationships, with one another, and in [our] world, that God intended [us] to have."

I pray that we will strive to live as God intends us to. I pray that our lives reflect the blessings we receive when we live in the ways that he has commanded.

a daughter of the King,
Jena

No comments: